Thursday, September 4, 2008

Nose, Grindstone

Try and get a handle on the day. We started, we worked very hard, we stopped. Not many breaks. Sensing deadlines, D and I had done a tentative arrangement for the show and Sara didn't change it much, we started hanging well before lunch, certainly a record. Also, late yesterday, noticed that fully half of the photographs didn't have the artist's name or the name of said piece on the back. Yikes. We managed to tag them all, using the catalog as reference, but the catalog only showed one piece per eleven photographers, then we had the price sheet, which listed titles. Just plain dumb omission. And not packed very well either. Argh. Sara looked at what we had done, changed just a few things, and I could understand the little changes she made, they did make it better, then everyone left us alone, so we could attempt to hang the show in one day, which we did, finishing just at four o'clock. I convinced D that he might as well do the lighting as most of the correct lights were hanging, he started, I went up and got Sara, she was thrilled. I had to get some janitor stuff done, the garbage out, stock the bathrooms, and when I got back they were nearly done. This is a good show, the lights reveal, really just one weak link, and we put him in the worst spot; I think museums must always have worst spots, and conversely, best spots, the nature of the beast. Dress rehearsal for the play tonight, and before we left we carefully educated The Brit on what to turn off and unplug. Whipped, but I had to go to the Library and Liquor Store or my evening would be meaningless. The Raven Haired Beauty was at the library reference desk and I talked with her a few minutes, describing the Wrack Show (D was her computer design teacher), and she liked the idea, smiled brightly and cheered me immensely. I got a new book on black holes. Stupid damned grouse camped out on the driveway and runs up ahead of me the last four days, I tried to hit the fucker tonight, grouse is good. I mentioned them today and Sara asked how the bird, grouse, became "to complain". I don't know, will look it up this weekend unless one of you know, and, of course, the gorse, you know what I mean, heather or various legumes lining a Links Course. So beat I just stopped and got a footer on the way home, some jalapeno poppers, be still my heart. Started the black holes book seated at the island, working on my cholesterol. I could make an argument but it would be bullshit. If I hadn't bought a hot dog I wouldn't have eaten, simple as that, what I really wanted was a drink. Actually, to be completely honest, I brought the dog and poppers home, and had a drink before I ate them, a cocktail, and what's that word all about? What would be really useful would be one of those ipod things that had the OED on it, the dictionary for joggers or picture hangers, I don't listen to music so much anymore, but I'd wear one of those things around my neck. Maybe a small earpiece and one of those almost invisible mikes, and I could just ask my voice-actuated OED -grouse (to complain), origin- and it would come back to me, very quickly, and I would turn, and say whatever it told me, to whomever had asked me that question. Weird. I just saw a short movie in my head, I went to get a drink and rolled a smoke at the island, doing my rounds, and thought about two or three characters, going about their business with these OED ipods, and the information, is, literally flying. This could be quite funny or very serious, maybe both, certainly sexy, we could go whatever way. Make a note we need to make a movie. A stressful day at the museum, there was so much going on just below the surface, I call back to my earlier comments about the combined arts, it's hard to work together, everyone has a different picture of exactly what's going on. It's always priorities, my experience, it all comes down to portioning time, exactly what are you going to do; my ego is not involved (it's in a storm shelter someplace in Iowa) but if I was us I'd dig a hole, bury garbage, wipe everything clean, stay clear as much as possible. Hey, listen, if I wasn't watching, I wouldn't see.

No comments: