Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Later

Long after dark, I'm wondering what is concealed. You reveal that much, what is not revealed? Listen, I have to go. There's a clock ticking somewhere. Nothing is what it seems. You might say what you thought you meant. I've thought about this, what I thought I meant. I know that "I" and "You" are constructs. Positively ebullient about the show, especially as The Gamppster was in today, with a load of wrack. Excellent stuff, an industrial muffin tin, sorely rusted, several nice bottles (we had no glass) and the chandelier for over the bed, a lovely thing with a duck decoy on the top. Objects take on meaning from their context. D's head buried in the phone book and he called me over, in the yellow pages there was a heading, DEAD, and at the bottom of the page, last place, was printed "Dead Animal Removal Service" and a note, "see fertilizers", but on the fertilizer page there was nothing about dead animals. Are there dead animals in fertilizer? Is this a problem for vegetarians? Do they have to tell you on the bag? Maybe I'm just easily confused. The Show looks great, after a couple of days off (which we didn't expect to have). I polyurethaned the abstract stump then cleaned and thaned (it was either thaned or polyied) the strange little bird/fish. It's lovely, reminds me of the Calder piece, the flow. It needs a special pedestal, I have the idea that it could be on a fairly small diameter log that could be lashed into a corner. Already missing the Tallahassee Lasher, or Lead Lash, as he liked to be called, there are still things to tie, and he set the rod quite high; D and I tended more toward a -fuck the Boy Scouts- kind of upbringing, and never learned proper lashing. Seriously, some of Kim's lashes are things of beauty, at the end, he was going around, tucking the ends, cleaning up the lashings. I mean really. A sure sign of winter is tannic leaf-prints on concrete. The finish on the abstract stump is amazing, strange. I sandblasted it, then sprayed on some poly, then wire brushed it and oiled it, then today put on a coat of semi-gloss poly today. All of these things are not necessarily mutually compatible therefore not predictable. It has sparkly edges, where, I guess, the final coat of poly built up. It'll look lovely in the light, I just don't know where it goes. B was over for a drink and chat, he thought we should just give Gampp the other house, the southeast triangle. This whole thing interests me, the presentation, is actually what I currently do, install shows. And though I seem to be the boss I don't really know what's going on. It's a collective, but I am the thread. I've written this into existence. Usually I go the other way around. Like I could hide anything from you, if you read me closely, I think I am transparent, maybe just slightly opaque, nearly normal. You think you know what I mean. You think I know what I mean. I warn you straight out that I will cheat, in so far as I understand anything, in so far as I can see might be necessary. I tend to qualify things. Note to self. Reread. Glenn is coming again, to film, the next few days should be full to over-flowing. Thinking tonight about what a leap this show is, in the way that I constellate my thinking, what becomes real and what doesn't. Almost anyone could imagine this show, if they only had the idea.

No comments: