Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Road Show

We start planning to send this Circus Show on the road, to pack it and send it on the road. It's made more complex by the fact that we originated the show, collected all the disparate things, some our own, many from other places, and it's never been packed up and shipped as an entity before. Also, we somehow have to figure cubic footage when packed, so we'll how large a truck is needed. Logistics. We need to know when Columbus needs it, we need to feather that with lunch at the North Market, so I can get some of those incredible Vietnamese sandwiches and squeeze in a trip to the various ethnic markets to lay in 10 pounds of basmati rice and a gallon of olive oil, a 5 pound block of squid, and a couple of cheeses. In rural Ohio, it's hard to get a decent stinky cheese. They've chosen the middle course, baloney and American bland. But Columbus, with 'The' Ohio State University is very cool when it comes to diversity and truly spectacular restaurants and stalls. If I moved to Columbus I would gain weight, something that's never happened to me. I could live at the North Market, food stalls lining the entire perimeter, and the place must be 100 yards by 200 yards, with a balcony second floor with several hundred tables, where you take the stall food and eat. In the middle is just great everything: seafood, hot sauces, cheese, sausages, flowers, wine, jams, fetishes; and thousands of people. I prefer going after the lunch rush because I'm a touch claustrophobic and a country bumpkin to boot. I then to gawk and tie up traffic when I go to places like that. But I love them, the best places, because you can get, excuse the use of the word, authentic stuff. Authentic is a word much abused, but I hate to loose words from my vocabulary because they've become politically incorrect. I know what the word means, and I'm using it correctly. Fuck a bunch of society. Something else got my dander up recently, what was it... right, I was listening to the radio for the local weather, there's a front moving in, it's 8 in the morning. The guy says it is currently 42 degrees and today's high will be 38. I have to pull over and think about that. When did today begin? Nothing makes a certain amount of sense, as Beckett might say. Can't wait to get a copy of the new Manet play "Race", he's a gift, his language is a beautiful thing. The way it turns upon itself and constantly confronts. Intense. Emily, when she writes to a nephew about a butterfly. Here's an odd thing, I was considering my life, recently, considering the yeas and neighs, and I was struck with the fact that I always retreat. Not only not a role model, but a coward to boot.

No comments: