Thursday, December 30, 2010

Wearing Hats

I wore a great many hats today, filling my pathic and empathic functions. D dumped a bunch of data from his old main-frame onto his lap-top, then upgraded the computer in the office where I'm set-up to write. Not my office, but the office for Pegi's new assistant , when that new hire happens. I've been talking with Pegi about it, needs to happen, she needs help. And the result is that I'm working on a much faster machine. D calls it a dinosaur, but it's like a hundred times faster than my dial-up on the ridge. Felt a very strong connection with Paul, who drove down and over from Pennsylvania with Roberta, to talk about the Carter Collection; we talked mostly about water use and wood, but touched a lot of bases. I liked Roberta a lot too, I love bright women. I'm going to propose that I visit them, cook a meal, spend a night drinking and talking. I really enjoyed them. D walked something over to John's print shop and on his way back, walking through the alley, discovered one of the basement windows broken. This was a bank, this was really thick glass, behind bars, someone really wanted to break it. We revue our options. On the inside, this particular window jamb is almost inaccessible; when the weather is warmer I could get to it, but not now. So we agree that what we need is an outside temporary repair. This is tricky ground, where the temporary becomes permanent. D buys a sheet of tile substrate, they all have cute names, but they are durable and cut with a circular saw. He gets some concrete chalk, which is also cementitious and will bound perfectly with both the backer and the jamb. The back side of the backer board looks just like the limestone slabs that face the building. This temporary repair just became permanent. When I can get to it, I'll insulate the back, but this gap, 18 inches by 54 inches, at grade, in a shaded alley, was pouring cold air into the basement. We fixed that. We did some other things. I stood D to a pint, after work, so we could map out the week ahead, won't see him again until a week from tomorrow, when we do the floors. I've got to ship a show out, in the mean time, and a list of other chores. Never a boring moment. I elected to go back to the ridge because of the mud. There is nothing worse than two inches of slush over a frozen substrate. Where you slip and fall. We can laugh about that now.

No comments: