Sunday, February 13, 2011

Selected Elements

Unpacking, bitching about the quantity of tape (by the end of today we'd filled a thirty gallon trash can with tape wads) until we finally get the last one unwrapped. Paintings everywhere. Grouped according to plan, in the six bays they'll occupy. Monster show. All we can handle plus maybe ten percent. Finish in time to roll around in chairs from the board room and look at the paintings closely. This is the point at which we become critics. We do have opinions and neither of us hold back. This would be a very good time to watch us, and listen to the patter. We're often quite funny. When Sara is here, she and Pegi often lean over the upstairs railing, offering comment and words of encouragement. No one bothers us when we're handling the art. Installing a big show like this is a piece of work. After a break we got the two huge crates in one of the panel closets, we'd set four panels for this show, and even so, the two barely fit. I'm not sure we'll ever get them out, D wedged them so tightly they were making ugly sounds. Took another 8 or 6 to the basement, the heaviest ones, where they're being stored, in the correct order for shipping back out. We're on top of this. Got my truck back, but I stay in town one more night, because I need to do laundry before I venture back to the ridge. Hike in with supplies, spend a couple of days in solitude, then hang a show. I love this part of it. Where I do the math and drill holes, set anchors, invent attachments, and focus intently on the job at hand. I can store the other shipping crates and boxes during the week. Move some things around. We're good to go on this, I was concerned about the mashed-potato croquettes, but Christy stepped in and I think we're good to go. I recommend a long hot soak. Relieve whatever that anxiety is. Not something you want to talk about. But a real thing, nonetheless. That butterfly in South America is looking better. Not believing anything, really, other than what was drawn on the cave walls. Elk cross when? Oh yeah, I can fit that into my schedule. Summers on the Seine.

No comments: