Saturday, April 30, 2011

Slumping Hillsides

Too much water, the ground is saturated, and a lot of these back country roads are through narrow cuts with steep hillsides. Road crews steady clearing rocks and dirt from roadways. They start re-paving RT 125 next week and I'll have to take the long way around. Auguries: the wind's lalation through soft new leaves; two turkeys, young males (Jakes) on my back porch when I get home; suddenly the world is green. Great conversation last night, and I do love good conversation. Jess (Debbie) said she averages making $500 a night in the better clubs. The gig in Columbus was a guarantee of that. Bonnie spent the whole time I was cooking reading me online. Then, while we were eating, asked the usual questions about how I did it. I read them a couple of pages, after dinner, and they really enjoyed listening. I had to give them the short version of how I ended up here. Then I went into listening mode and asked them about their lives. They both felt that stripping was a perfectly fine way to pay off college debt, and are both well situated for jobs in business. Bright, beautiful, and self-confident; with augmentation that is arresting. They showed me their tattoos, I showed them my scars; the only slightly awkward moment was when Jess cupped her breasts and asked me what I thought. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I told her they looked good to me. Gather enough morels to make a white gravy, and serve myself on toast, it's really good, I probably could have eaten more, but I ate all there was, and it was enough. I sat at the reception desk this afternoon, after running personal errands all morning, did the laundry, bought a new espresso maker, went to the library, because it's supposed to rain all weekend and I need to plan ahead. I have enough of everything, I think, to get through whatever. Flooding or hillside slumps. Wet weather springs. One of my former wife's lovers came to me, said he felt guilty that he hadn't said something. He thought I knew. What does that mean? Butt and pass is just a method of construction, not something philosophic, just a way of tying sticks together.

Dead calm, the green
is almost repressive,
the way it covers, like
a blanket.

Tom.

Dead calm, the green
is almost repressive, the
way it covers, like
something we might replicate.

Just saying.

No comments: