Thursday, May 12, 2011

Standing Wave

Rained between 3 and 6 inches last night, and the lake was already full, flowing over the spillway, so this morning it was a rampage. A napp of 10 or 12 inches, and where it was hitting the curb at the bottom of the downcurve. This structure certainly has a name. But the size and sound of this great foaming thing; thick, muddy, a frothing cataract. The ground was shaking. Edgar Meyer playing a extremely amplified bass. I'm early, so I spend some time there, watching and listening; all the wildlife is on the other end of the lake. Turkey Creek is in spate. Earlier, it was clear that Mackletree Creek had escaped its banks at some point. Even my seasonal rill was running a torrent. The grader ditch was a small river. I stopped and redirected a tiny oxbow. The main culvert is clogged with fines and needs attention. I attended to the physical plant today, part of my job description. Nothing of import, I enjoyed talking with Sharee, I sampled the finger food, ate a lot of olives; I'll have to clean up tomorrow, the kitchen will be a mess. Tomorrow begins a kind of a push, a show to take down, a show to install, a lot of other stuff going on, benefits, events. I just try and keep the restrooms stocked with toilet paper. I was cooking a great dinner when I realized it was getting late, and I lost interest in cooking, ate a peanut butter sandwich, fuck a bunch of caramelizing onions and red peppers, just as a base for cooking some asparagus, I had designs on this dish. I have a history. It's older than you, than that, goes all the way back, before the beginning, when we mostly protected our pile of offal which would smell bad and be kicked into a common grave if we weren't guarding it. I know you almost as well I know myself. My projected reader. I've done some background checks. I'm not who you think I am, this shit actually matters to me. His pause, at a pile of clothes, probably meant something, Think about that. A standing wall of water is a physical thing, any emotion you might imply is simply an implication. It's really just water, hitting an obstacle. Sometimes language falls apart. Nothing makes any sense. The "I" in any given sentence could be almost anyone. You or some third party, her or him. Undercover. Pakistan. Come on. What you think you know. Dams always affect the ecosystem. You have to deal with silt, it's a fact of life, the most pressing problems, the housing downturn. Flooded with this event. Concealed weapons. Hoisted on your own petard.

No comments: