Friday, April 5, 2013

Visually Literate

D set the show in the morning, while I did some touch up painting, lunch, then I started hanging, solo, while D moved on to some other things. It's fun, hanging a show alone, taking my time, muttering numbers, looking at each piece closely. D came in and painted the pedestals for the 3-D pieces. I'm going to go in tomorrow, do my laundry in the morning, and hang the rest of the show (or most of it) so we can finish up on Tuesday, labels and lights, since D teaches on Wednesday and the show opens on Thursday. All the galleries will be filled for the first time in months. I'm sick of the construction projects. The first phase of the alley, paving, walkway, lovely wrought iron gates, should be done in the next week or so, restore and clean the theater, paint the back hall and the front entry; then I might take some time off. Finish the Janitor College book and maybe take a road trip, go away for a few days, maybe not so much go away as just stay on the ridge with the phone turned off. I had another one of those days when I couldn't help but notice that there are a lot of very fat people waddling around. A couple of ladies came in the pub, just as we were leaving; one of them barely fit through the door and the other one was probably a hundred pounds lighter. The larger woman must have weighed 400 pounds. I suspect the specific gravity of human flesh varies extremely. This was as close to pure blubber as you're ever likely to see. I don't see how she came sit on just one chair. I almost ran back inside to warn Barb. Same thing, depositing my check at the bank yesterday, the guy in front of me was huge, had to walk with the spay-footed, spay-legged, shuffle, that is characteristic. I'm trying to gain weight that I seem to have lost over the last year. I don't like to weigh less than 140 pounds, a bean-pole at that, with chicken legs. I brought in another dozen eggs, a loaf of the multi-grain bread I favor, a back-up pound of butter. Some rain and warmer temps in the forecast, and I'm completely looking forward to variations of beans, eggs, and morels on toast. The occasional small steak. I went off in my head for a while, I'm prone to that, studying American watercolors from 1920-1940, forgot completely what I was thinking about, and ended up spending several hours looking at pictures.

No comments: