Monday, July 15, 2013

Should've Known

My left hip is killing me, and my feet hurt, working on those tile floors is murder. I'd rather burn in Dante's hell than complain, but this has been a rough couple of weeks. Only because I'm well versed in the art of suffering makes it possible. The primary lesson, at Janitor College, was that people make a mess, and you have to clean up after them. A rule of thumb. Went to town this morning, and worked all day at the pub. Re-upholstered seats and backs for the booths and a ten foot long bench seat. Free lunch, free beer. Did a nice job. Had a Red Stripe at lunch, and a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout (one of the greatest beers in the world) when I finished, right at five o'clock. I know the staff over there so well, it's like family. Several other regular customers and friends were building a stage, John T., the manager not the owner (there was yet another John working on the platforms), was rearranging the front room to accommodate two dart boards. Barb was being the mother hen. Billy had the worst job, sanding and staining tables out in the sun. It was a bloody hot day, the first in what promises to be a very hot week. It was comfortable inside, and John Hogan, himself, was in attendance, slightly under the weather, breathing problems; he mostly sat, and pointed at things with his cane. I love these people. Got home and my younger daughter, Rhea, called, we hadn't talked for many weeks, so it was great fun to hear her voice and make her laugh. I'm going to pay for her to fly out in the fall or spring, She's too young to rent a car, so I'll have to drive over to Cincy a couple of times, which might involve staying a night in a motel, watching TV, eating take-out, and several showers. I can live with that.

No comments: