Sunday, August 24, 2014

Contracts

Who knows what actually happens? I get up to close some windows, go outside and pee. I wear a headlamp and carry a frog-gig as a walking staff. In boarding school they made fun of me, now I don't care much either way. This time of year you might come upon almost anything. Say you go out to pee, maybe you carry a frog-gig as a walking stick, maybe there's no light, fog, and a sense of change, like ozone in the air. If you ran upon a snake you could stick it with the gig, you could use the handle as a pointer, you could rant about the various inequalities. I'm only kidding. Mostly I sit in the dark and smoke. I can't fault anyone for what they do. Still, I wonder, "My car bomb, and your car bomb might set the world on fire. Hey now." Doctor John. Dodge and parry. I'd stopped down at B's after a run to town, I remembered to get coffee and whiskey, but had forgotten to go to the library, and he had some books for me. We both read so much we shame our leaned friends. He allowed that I made the best pate that had ever passed his lips. I had just been thinking about making another batch, because I had the water to clean up and a package of local calves-liver in the freezer. I like making pate, when the planets are aligned, because I very much enjoy the mouth-feel and the taste, and the good-will it gains me with a couple of friends. I never went to boarding school. That was supposed to be satire. It's difficult to tell fact from fiction. I was reading about the effect of grit on dental enamel when Linda called. Rarely so happy to hear the phone ring on a Sunday. I've been eating a lot more grit. An inescapable aspect of certain life-style choices and not having running water. Linda was great, they're off to France again, for four weeks of harvesting grapes, and a week in Paris. We touched all the bases (I was going to call them tonight, because I knew they were leaving soon) and had a spirited conversation. I love Linda above all my other readers because she understands me so well. She knows that when I go off, I'm just blowing steam, that I was never mad at anyone except myself. I think it's probably just heat lightning, but I'd better go, the radio warned it could be severe.

No comments: