Friday, September 19, 2014

Guest Quarters

I've slept here before. The wallpaper was different, the mats hung in a different pattern, but I recognize the room. Right. My living area, and I'm sleeping on the sofa. Disoriented, coming out of a dream, I have to shuffle through memories to remember where I am. Go out to pee. A few stars, no moon, very dark, the porch light is a beacon. I didn't want to stay up but I stubbed my toe and that startling pain made me get a wee dram and roll a smoke. We all know pain like this, pain lower case, that disappears after a few minutes, but it's enough to startle you and you're suddenly awake and there's nothing you can do about it. Some times I fire up Black Dell, but usually I just read fiction. Late at night and it is very quiet, the ridge sheds everything. The benefit of claiming high ground. The cold falls off, the sound, water, and you're left with almost nothing, stick trees and a gray horizon. I like it, the fact that it is a challenge, that I live or die by how I conduct myself. Went down to see B, to have a beer and discuss a book about the British WWI poets. The phone guys were at the bottom of Mackletree and they had found the problem. 24 days! No more than in the door and my sister called from Florida. Both of my parents are in bad shape, but they are 96 and 87, they've been married for 71 years, and the clock is ticking. Dad is blacking out and Mom can barely get to the bathroom, both of their hearts are shot. Dad has already fallen a couple of times. The writing on the wall. I'd better go, ship this off while I have a line.

No comments: