Sunday, December 7, 2014

More Rain

You have to love it. Sheets of rain. Rain in waves all night. Today dawned with drizzle. When it finally let up I went out and partially jacked up the Jeep, so I could break the lug-nuts loose. Big joke, I do get one of the five, but the other four have me completely defeated. I spend an hour looking around the house and print shop but there is nothing I can use as a cheater, not a piece of pipe anywhere. I'm sure I can figure something out tomorrow, but my feet were cold. Had to laugh, the whole scene had been such a comedy. In the late afternoon the sun came out for the first time in days, and the entire landscape sparkled. Stoked the stove, changed into extra socks and slippers, got a wee dram, and rolled a smoke. Pretty much chuckling at myself the whole time. I can't get a tire changed. I think about the purely mechanical problem, breaking loose lug-bolts that have been over-tightened. When you're loosening lug-bolts you're in a terrible posture. It's difficult to use your body. So I think about that. One problem is that the lug-wrench I bought is one of those four-way sockets (17,19, 21 and 22 MM), it's 20 inches long, fairly heavy, and you have to keep one hand on it, just to keep the socket on the lug. Awkward. It's hard to stomp on the free end of a wrench in that position. Stomping is the number one solution to this problem. If you don't have a cheater pipe. It's arguable that we should all be issued cheater pipes at birth, to pry ourselves out of situations. I'll never be caught without one again. I had worked up an appetite, so I got a steak out of the freezer and roasted some purple potatoes; with left-over corn bread, it's a feast I don't feel I deserve. Which I fully enjoyed nonetheless. Then just sat in a darkened house (a 7 watt compact in the entry, so I can see when I get up) and thought about things. What I've done wrong, what I need to do. One of those mind-drifts where you see your failings. A frank look, not maudlin or depressing; a more generalized where-are-we-now kind of thing. I do need to get some things done, and I can do most of them, though at a reduced pace. It's just those fucking lug-nuts that have me in a funk. I'm thinking about tricking out a Spanish Windless. It's a fall-back position. And there's always the wedge, a block-and-fall, various levers. Or I could call B, because he'd have a cheater pipe.

No comments: