Thursday, April 30, 2015

Dawn Wind

The Rains Of Appalachia. Started before dawn, sometimes just a drizzle but a couple good downpours. In my Goodwill bag of books was a McGuane I'd missed, Nothing But Blue Skies, which makes a good rainy day read. Knew it was forecast, so when I fried potatoes last night I fried a bunch extra, so that I could eat fried potato and onion sandwiches. I made a pesto mayonnaise to go with them. God, I love these sandwiches. A marketing call from a septic tank enzyme company and I laughed out loud, as I explained that I didn't have running water, no flush toilet, and no septic tank. We chatted about composting toilets. D called last night but I couldn't talk because Rodney was sitting here with his (actual) tale of woe. He said he'd bring the whiskey next time. Tales of woe are wearing me down. I made a great frittata with morels and spinach, and a little chopped watercress I'd found in my adventure yesterday. I topped it with a caramelized onion and a butter sauce. The butter sauce was particularly good. The cold nights have sent the mice back inside and I trapped two last night that had been attracted to my left-over fried potatoes, and fed them, fresh, to the crows when I went to the outhouse. A general merriment. I live to please my crows, they're way better than dogs or cats. They're not subservient, and I view that as a mark of respect. Had to sign off for a while, big thunder storms moving in from the NW, lightning, thunder, sheets of rain. Then some hail, which was very exciting and sounded like small caliber gun-fire on the roof. The electricity was still on so I played the pirated tape of Sara's Royal Hunt And Storm, big music with a point to make. It's kind of thrilling, thunder and lightning and opera being played quite loud. Another very dark storm moves in, but it's a little south of the ridge and I'm not concerned. Then I do get concerned, when a cell centers right on top me. I saved, on the computer, then dove beneath the covers. Slept well and woke recovered, we're all Irish, more or less.

No comments: