Monday, June 13, 2016

Vesica Piscis

"The measure of the fish", argued to be a yonic symbol, which I don't quite buy, commonly used as a framing device for religious icons. Thinking about this for several years, since D and I did the Wrack Show at the museum. That year we had found a great many pieces of wood weathered to a shape called a Prolate Spheroid, which is more or less the shape of a rugby ball. Not quite a football, which is a rotated vesica piscis. One thing led to another, which is certainly the story of my life, and I spent that entire following winter researching dozens of things I knew nothing about. Shapes, sizes, numerology, icons. Any day I can spend buried in the 11th Britannica is a good day. It's so warm my hands are sweating, which makes rolling a cigaret a messy job. Black Dell is not happy, so I gave her a fan and an ice pack. I'm completely sympathetic with her labor. Spent a good part of the day reading recipes, and came across a Korean noodle, mo mil kook so, that's made from acorn starch. Koreans make more use of acorns than anyone. A kind of tofu, several different noodles, candy. I'd make the cornmeal/acorn cakes more often, but acorns are difficult to harvest. I'm going to get one of those reacher clamps, I'm sure they have a name, where I can pick something up without bending over. If I could collect a gallon a day for thirty days, it would be a year's supply. I should be able to do in an hour a day's worth of nuts. Which reminded me of those trips down to Yazoo City. There was a great hardware store there, and a couple of sawmills, and a couple of barbeque joints; a trip that went right by Parchman, and across the highway there were stately Pecan trees and a few picnic tables. I'd always stop and gather a bushel of pecans. Who can ever not need a bushel of pecans?

No comments: