Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Wrong Font

Took a little longer than it might have if I knew what I was doing, and the font size is wrong, but everything is connected. It took forever because I had to clean cables and the space behind Old Black Dell, she was messy in her final years. Fly litter, dead bugs, spider webs. I only had to go underneath the work desk once and I wore a mask. Jerome was here the very day she died and we went to town immediately, to the pub, for an early lunch and to question Cory about where to go, Adkins Computers, so we did. Jerome knew what I needed and talked the talk, the guy there was very quick. She's lovely and quite small, very quiet, and reconfigured in a black, sleek Dell housing. I thought for sure I was going to have to remove the now almost useless carcase, may she rest in peace, of Old Black Dell, and I was concerned, because the lamp, which sits atop, is perfect, or at least excellent for me, writing at night. Very cool, also, because their are a few pages I'd like to retrieve, from when I was still writing there, even though I knew OBD was dying. The Lost Pages. An extra trip to town, to take them my external modem, and the new unit will come preloaded, upgraded, all that. As it happens I could have gotten the damned thing on Saturday, but I assumed they'd be closed; on the modem trip I'd stopped at the library and got a couple of Scandinavian mysteries. Picked up a couple of pounded pork steaks that I breaded and fried, served with pan gravy, apple slices cooked in butter and maple syrup. The lych-way is the corpse way, the path the dead take to burial. I knew where the church used to be, two hollows over, and I finally found trace of the wagon path that leads up to the cemetery, a holloway, where the grooves are cut by the wheels. A raised path, in the fens, is called a cawnie. I'd noticed the rhododendron, across the road, on the opposite slope, was still bright green and glossy, like holly, and I wondered how long it held its leaves, so I tagged a few, to be able to follow the process. They must exude a toxin, because nothing grows under them; Black Walnut do this, an enzyme from the roots that discourages competition. There's a rain storm, which I need, being short on wash water, and I had clean buckets set out for water . I can get by on five gallons of wash water a week, two gallons of drinking water, I can boil rain or snow as drinking water.

No comments: