Thursday, November 3, 2016

Dangerous Speech

Rhetorical lines. I have to dip into the flow once in a while, to see if the Cubs won, to check the weather. Trump is horrid. Much more exciting is that the seafood lady at Kroger called to tell me they had Wellfleet oysters AND the library called, saying they were holding a book. It's another leaf day, and they're getting thick on the ground. The driveway is slick with them but I need to get out, maybe tomorrow, though more probably Friday because it's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow. First passage on wet leaves is almost as bad as snow. Four-wheel low and it's fine except that at the second curve you have to tap the brakes; the back end of the vehicle, because of the chamber graded into the driveway, wants to swing to the left, which puts the driver's side in the ditch and allows correction. Time for correction. You have to be completely focused here. A couple of times I asked B to take my vehicle down, he's better at this than me; now I don't take a vehicle down unless it's clear sailing. A meatloaf is a country pate. I had some time to spare, and was reading recipes for meatloaf, of which I have dozens; meatloaf, with mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy, is one of the pillars of wisdom. The oysters are good news too, because of the warm spell and the fact that I can roast them on the grill. I don't remember where I stole it from now, but having a scant spoon-full of lemon ice on a hot oyster (or clam, or mussel) is a fine thing. The mouth-feel is amazing. Smoked mullet makes a good dip. I was feeling flush, having saved a few dollars, so I bought a bag of unsalted corn chips. Pure corn. These are so good I want to become a preacher. Purslane and corn are the way to salvation. Roasted kale and sweet potatoes. Enough rain to keep me inside. Tried to read some fiction, but between not being fact-checked or proof-read, I just can't take it. So a couple more books join the pile (library sales mostly, where I don't do a lot of high grading) that I'm now calling Books To Be Read Only In An Emergency. As a balance to the stupid talk on the radio, I got down a Latin/English Cicero and read a few decent orations. He was a master at calling someone an idiot without ever being offensive. It sometimes actually sounded like a compliment. I couldn't agree with you more than I do. Cicero opened the door to stand-up comedy. Sarcasm and irony. I'm so unplugged, especially recently, that I miss a lot. I'd rather be looking at a small blue flower in the median. Or watching leaves fall. Or making a great mac and cheese with bacon bits and minced peppers. I just enjoy myself, as well as I can.

No comments: