Thursday, February 5, 2009

Later

It's beautiful, last light of dusk slowly fading, I've built a structure here, that maintains. Time for the mummy bag and Linda's hat, suits my fancy. If the wind picks up, we could avoid disaster, knocking down the ice before it reached terminal mass. Listen, I was on the committee, I voted for this, my reasoning certainly suspect, but nonetheless. I choose to live here, given the sundry options. I've never been so engaged. That's worth something, in the great scheme of things. That I would be forced to pay attention. Power out. I can hardly remember what's normal. The ice storm arrived and it was spectacular. Stunning. Everything was covered. More than a week ago, I made some notes, when I got up, crawled out of my winter bag, started a fire, looked out the various windows, everything was crystal, every single thing. The saplings are bowed, the entire natural world is arched with the weight of ice. There is no sound, everything muffled. Suited up, walking to the head of the driveway, duck-walk, takes thirty minutes. Time and distance take on new meaning. I'm ill prepared but still ok, I knew this was in my future. Grilled cheese and tomato soup. You don't so much prepare for events as you live your life. It's cold, you dress appropriately. I pay attention to my diet. I eat a lot of fat. Jana called and suggested a warmer clime. I smiled and agreed to chicken broth. It's so beautiful, you wouldn't believe. It was above freezing for a few hours and then not and the snow stuck to every surface, everything was white. The whole world, the universe. There were things that were white that I knew to be black. The natural world can be confusing. Out each window the view is slightly different, a framed image of absolute winter. Black and white photos, no color at all, it's such a complex jumble of bushes and saplings weighted over with snow and ice. B duck-walks over, we discuss my survival. I admit I'm close to the edge. Cannonades in the distance, I go out to listen, trees exploding, nothing unusual. At some point I'm outside, and the trees are shedding ice. It's very loud. I often retreat to a cup of tea. And then I take the time to listen. Like now, for instance, back on my key-board. Hey. Fucking trees exploding. Hummocks. What you thought you said.

No comments: