Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Good Try

Headed into town, despite deep snow, after digging the truck out again, after an almost impossible trek down the hill. Made it about halfway out Mackletree when a red sedan, completely out of control, spun into my lane and I had to ditch, literally, off to the left. I sat there, stunned, until Booby's wife Diane, came creeping along, went back to her house and got Booby. He came down with his tractor, I had a logging chain, and finally got my back wheels on the ground so I could get out in 4-wheel low. Covered in snow, with frozen feet, I had to turn around and get back home. Two hours to go five miles. The climb back up the hill, was so awful, wet, frozen feet, I had to laugh. Stoked the fire, heated water to soak my feet, dried off, changed into dry clothes, made a hot toddy, sat in a rocking chair next to the stove. A robin, looking really out of place, pecking a sumac head. Back to the printing book. Light snow on and off through the afternoon. Must get in tomorrow. D calls with an update, what he got done (he lives right on a primary road and always gets plowed first) and what I need to get done. The show will open Friday, but there still will be some things to do. I'll go in Saturday and Monday to do a major floor cleaning and probably touch up painting. Fortunately, it's a big, bright, 3-D show, and when it's lit, you won't notice anything but the pieces. I can obsess about detail for a day or two after opening. And the opening party is a week away, good planning on someone's part, though probably, more a question of when the artist was available. Shows are booked sometimes years ahead, individual people, with their varied lives, are harder to book. I was thinking about the frogs today, how difficult it would be to actually record, sight and sound, that amazing fuck-fest that starts the season. It always wakes me from deep sleep, and I know what it is right away, the frogs are back, I throw on an outfit, grab a flashlight, my foam seat, roll a smoke, get outside, and watch. I'm surprised National Geographic hasn't done something with this.

No comments: