Friday, April 9, 2010

Attachment Again

That old black magic, hang them straight, centered at 57 inches. Got the high school show arranged, all the wall pieces sitting on the floor, roughly where they go, pedestals all set and the 3 dimensional pieces where they want to be. D and I working together again all day tomorrow and we should be able to get it hung and lit. Maybe 50 pieces. Do the labels, touch-up the peds, and clean on Tuesday, oh, right, and signage; open the show on Wednesday, reception and awards on Thursday. I love hanging shows, getting to touch everything, and smelling the effort. Both of us today, D and I, on our high horses about how one of the first art classes you should take would be on actually finishing a piece, whatever medium, and considering its installation: it needs to be moved, it must be handled, it must be balanced, it must be rigged for hanging or whatever. You can't expect an installer to be precise if you're sloppy. Although it's true D and I could actually install an impossible show, but we'd only do it if we liked the work AND the artist, and it engaged our attention. The green is coming on, it's everywhere, and the new leaves are so young and so flexible and so strong, to weather the spring winds. The red maple leaves roll into cones so that the wind doesn't blow them away. I can no longer roll into a cone. I used to, but no more. Now I wedge a prop against my back and stand up to the wind, I like that image, because I'm tired of getting up and down. Stay up, suffer the winds of change. It's a fall-back position. Besides, it's a beautiful evening, severe clear, cool, a brisk wind, 10 to 20 knots. This could be it. What constitutes a perfect day? I've had so many I'm not a good judge. I folded today's morels into a cream sauce on pasta, shells, it was very good; better than that, it was one of the best things I'd ever tasted. Morels, I think, engage an earlier brain, where taste was really important. I do nothing but listen, now, but half the time I don't even do that. What I find is that no one is paying any attention. Right, right, the sub-text.

No comments: