Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Past

The rich man claims his chattel. We could enter a war of words. In a fit of pique I'd take the side of the oppressed, on principle, without knowledge of the specific case, even though I might know I'm on the wrong side. Sometimes it's hard to hold your tongue, even if it gets you hurt. I have a tongue that might be likened to a stiletto but I rarely use it as a weapon. I often say things under my breath that I'd never say out loud. We all act out, occasionally say things we might regret later. Harbor resentments. I'd really like to unload against a couple of former friends, but it would be a waste of effort. I entertain the idea, because it could be quite funny, and humors drive the world. In an attempt at self-medication I spill some juice and find myself, early this morning, on my hands and knees, cleaning after myself, with a spray bottle and paper towels. The poor man accepts the yoke. Historical fact.

Poplar buds a
soft green that
open into spring.

I meant what I said, whatever it was, under my breath, or out loud in the woods, that I hate the way someone would chide me for a debt they imagined. Fucking system doesn't work.

Redbud and dogwood
are resplendent, a
clash of color.

I'm angry, actually, the whole system is a farce. Sarah Palin is a joke. Saturday Night Live, Tina Fay, is closer to the truth, but I don't know what that means. I was early to town, again, and I went down to the river; when all else fails I look to hydrology. Hydraulics never fail without reason. A blown gasket, something tangible. I melt a pat of butter to fry an egg. It means nothing, but it looks like it means something. I'm confused. I try and apply meaning, but it's a lost cause. Nothing means anything. Not that that's important. It just struck me. An egg on toast is just an egg on toast. It doesn't really mean anything.

A small flower,
purple in the litter,
makes the point.

There was a back-water that took my attention, a counter-intuitive drift. A standing wave that stood in the wrong direction. Usually, when I watch things closely, I have no idea what they mean.

Tom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is possible that in the world of quantum physics (which is really our world but simply from a very different perspective) anything means everything.