Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Recipes

The Barnharts had given me a bag of books and I was reading some Thai recipes, they all sounded good. I think I'm on the brink of doing an Appalachian / Asian fusion thing. Ramps and lemon grass; acorns and shrimp, with coconut milk. Such rains, last night, that the driveway needed a bit of repair, and I was late for work, which is a rare thing. Even the truth can be a valid excuse, but sometimes, for the sheer joy of it, I make up stupid and improbable excuses, as an alibi, until, usually D, pops my balloon. Actually I was just writing, or up half the night writing and needed to sleep. But this time I had to shovel a bit, the top catchment basin for the top culvert was clogged, not a big deal, but I was already hot and sweaty when I arrived, and D was in work clothes, scraping the various grasses from between the bricks and the sidewalk at the back door. I'd already shoveled, for god's sake, I thought I'd already done my bit. And then, the bastard turns to me, and says we should do the front. Caught between a rock and a hard place might be the right phrase. I use a dulled chisel to scrape vegetative matter from between bricks. This is the best use of me you can use, squatting on a sidewalk, scraping weeds, with a .308 behind the hedge. I'm not a violent person, generally, but if you caught me at the right time. My phone is out, Then the power flickers. I SAVE before everything is lost, the very idea that a storm could rule your life.

No comments: