Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Jacksonville University

Yes, indeed I am that guy, studied theater, perhaps the best vertically integrated education one could have. Worked for me, still working, for all that, I hung a very nice front wall with 14 photographs today, over-under, two rows of seven, and they were all framed exactly the same. Which would seem to make things easier but actually makes them much more difficult. If the frame size is different, a tiny bit of error isn't important (centering at 57 inches) but if they're exactly the same, the amazing human eye, picks up the slightest difference. Got them all hung, and they look great, but I'll be tweaking then for days. I can do almost perfect, but it takes a lot longer. Mediocre is often good enough, if no one even sees it, why are you busting your ass? On the other hand, I like to get things close. A half-assed perfectionist with a calendar, a schedule, that locks things into place temporally. That's cool, I need constraints, otherwise I could well spend the rest of life sewing a single quilt. Densest fog I've ever seen, on the way to work, I slowed down to 25mph; thick, rolling off the river, seeping into all the low-lying spaces. It was lovely, you could stare right at the sun, it looked like a yellow beach ball. I was cleaning the back hallway this morning (it's a traffic zone) and the 'bird' that revealed itself as a bat swooped out of the theater and knocked me on my ass. Fucking bats. I know they're mammals, I know it's not a mere insect I could swat with a tennis racket. But I don't like them, I hate things that fly in my face. I didn't catch it, I don't want to kill it, I need a butterfly net. I never imagined I would need a butterfly net.

No comments: