Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Lovely Weather

Mid 30's at night, mid 60's day time high. Most of the leaves are gone. The switch back to EST means that if I have a beer with D and Anthony after work, I get home in the dark. I don't like driving after dark anymore. But they have a great Scottish Ale on tap right now. Friday night I'm pouring wine at the fund-raiser, good stuff, 6 and 8 bucks a glass. I told Pegi I'd pour the wine if she got one of her Cirque moms to handle the cash. Won't get home before 10. Deer season, will need to drive slow, especially the last five miles, on Mackletree, because the deer browse the under-story on both sides of the road. It can be a gauntlet. D ask me what I had done today, and I had to stop and think about it. I did three dishwasher loads of wine glasses, in prep for the party, took two loads of stuff to the basement, set up tables, hauled away garbage, vacuumed the plaster dust from setting 90 anchors (a job from hell, really), made numerous trips to the third floor, carrying glass and mats from the last show, spent an hour walking around the building, mostly outside, with a guy from a company who's giving us a price for doing some exterior work on the building. There's a grant involved. I'm a little sore, from working hard, and it feels kind of good. On my way out of town I stop and get a roast beef sandwich and some curly fries, no way I'm cooking tonight. The rest of this week, for that matter. I'll probably eat a burger too, all my sins remembered. A footer with onion rings, which I will have eaten before I get home, because the smell will have stopped me at the lake. This weather, I usually carry a beer under the driver's seat, because you never know. What if I got stuck in traffic? There's always a book in my pack. When everyone else is getting upset, I'm rolling a smoke, reading a book, drinking a bottle of beer. Any break in any imagined routine is fine with me. I'm heading to Florida a day early, so that if I'm delayed a day it wouldn't matter, I'll make crab-cakes and we'll talk about cornbread. I'll have to make greens. The vote is in for baby-back pork ribs at Thanksgiving, with a sweet potato thing, butter beans, and coleslaw. I'm good with that, as long as Kevin can pick the girls up at the airport, because I'll need to be cooking. Evidently Kevin and Rhea have been tweeting. Arrangements made, I'm merely the cook. Cool, I can deal with that. Variations on crab-cakes.

No comments: