Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Building Codes

But if there is no inspector, then what you have is merely a set of guide lines. Which is fine. I use hurricane clips now, because they're a good idea, and I get them for free, out of what other people throw away. Salvage. I don't like rules, but I choose to live where they don't apply. Even in affluent western Colorado, the Building Inspector, who was a friend, often blew me off, told me a proposed project was just a farm out-building and not subject to code. I built the goats a 'loafing shed' which was essentially a roof over a back wall and several posts, a place where they could eat hay when the snow was swirling. A simple structure. I knew exactly what I wanted to build, and why; he signed off on the project, 'farm, out-building' and nothing more was ever said. It worked out extremely well, the goats were happy and therefor so was I. Show me a happy goat. I'm just saying. Codes are like signs, what is said, given that everything is ephemeral. Things fade. A partial meeting of the board, the first hint of micro-management and D bristles like a wild boar. I'm just a bit calmer. Sara would never have let this happen, but Pegi is Pegi. We'll work it out. It was proposed that I oversee free criminal labor, folks working off community service, but I won't do that, it's an art museum and I can't watch someone else and get anything done. I'm not an overseer, doesn't work for me. Thought about it most of the day, while I vacuumed the theater (did I mention that I hate popcorn, people tend to sort of throw it at their mouth, and they often miss) and tried to order the coming weeks in my mind. My first piddling research into dolls. The next main gallery show, is, essentially, a weird doll show. I know very little about dolls. The inter-net is amazing when it comes to doing this, finding out about something. I was curious today about how that new take on Moby-Dick had hit the stands, that I'm still trying to track down a copy of, had been critically received. Just curious. And I could find it almost instantly, the criticism. It was good, interesting, and I was intellectually challenged, which is important, in my world. I want to learn something, I don't really care how many times I fail, failure is usually a good thing, you actually learn something. Later, drawing from that, you might sail a trurth, sail away. You and those thugs. I defuse a couple of bombs, nothing much, and dance around with panache, a Grateful Dead Christmas-tree ornament my girls had given me. Any cause for celebration.

No comments: