Thursday, December 20, 2012

Always Leave

Whenever a question is raised about your perfidy. Whenever your honesty is called into play. It's always best to say nothing and just slip out the back door. I've been in a few shouting matches and always felt like an idiot afterwards. Opinion being what it is, there's no winning or losing. I've gotten to where I don't argue with anyone about anything, it's a waste of time. I'm usually on the edge of trying to figure out what I think about something, usually an insignificant minor thing, like why the water went a certain way, and I don't even know how to discuss it, much less argue about it. I play the slightly-hard-of-hearing gambit fairly often, or the stupid-country-drunk, and turn away. If you mumble to yourself when you do this, you appear slightly crazy, and people leave you alone. I've escaped some fairly serious situations by just appearing dumb. Listen, it's all true. You get up at three in the morning, and maybe you write a few lines, feeling your oats (one of the things I love about writing, is that you stumble across phrases), get a drink, roll a smoke. The morning is young. A particular state, it's hard to describe, where I stare off into space, and try to formulate what I think about a specific thing. It's what I do. Formulate opinions. Complete bullshit, but it seems real enough. I always leave, when harsh words are expressed, even if it's after dark and raining. I'd rather slide off the road and crash into a tree than be involved in any disagreement.

No comments: