Friday, December 28, 2012

Planning

The days are beginning to run together. If I stay in town, and I go over the pub for a drink, maybe dinner, and the owners are there; since I just have to walk half-a-block back to the museum, we might have a couple of shots of Irish whiskey and listen to live music. In which case, I usually don't write. Which bothers me a little in a couple of regards: one, you have to put in the jetty time; and two, that it would bother me at all. Went back in the front door, last night, and the art library is right around the corner, so I read for a while, fact-checking and comparing versions of stories. I'm becoming a research fellow, I guess I always have been. I can't pretend to be interested in something, but if it catches my attention, I'm probably going to follow a lead (lead led me on a dictionary search) somewhere. Method is a procedure, by which technique achieves an end. I worked on that sentence for about two hours. I knew what I wanted to say. That method was the train, and technique the track. I thought about 'plein-air' painting for a while, Sargent in the field, with Monet. I'm sure the local cathedral was ringing Double-Round-Bobs. Almost all the scene paintings occurred when S was on a trip, and there are a bunch of them, 1,200, maybe more; he loved his studio, wherever it was, but he painted all the time. In a punt, painting in a backwater, he complained that the boat was moving, which is the point, I think Monet was (could be) expressing, that, yes, the point of view was changing. After lunch today, we'd spent several hours doing mundane chores, D wanted to sit down and draw out a plan. So we started talking about things that needed to be done, and the order. I'm not a Luddite, but I resist change-for-the-sake-of change. I don't understand why certain things are going to be done, nor do I understand the finances involved, but I see how they could happen, and where I could be involved. Looks like a lot of work to me, which I don't mind, in terms of 'keeping busy', which I'd rather do than not. I'm editing a book, which is way more important to me right now than anything else, that world out there.

No comments: