Thursday, May 16, 2013

Exactly Correct

Once in a while you hit the nail on the head. It doesn't happen often. Anything perfect is a rare occurrence, but occasionally you're able to read the score. Not unlike a whale, bear with me (the fox, a racoon, and the honey) things come into focus. I wouldn't have thought. Later, of course, when you reflect, you can modify the verbs. Take six morels that are four inches long. I clean them when I harvest, then store them in the fridge on paper towels, covered with paper towels. Slit the six on one side and stuff with a lightly herbed ricotta. A walnut of butter in a 6" cast iron skillet. They wedge in nicely and don't fall over, maybe a splash of vermouth. Maybe a lid for a couple of minutes, depending on how old they are. I serve this with a bitter salad and a hunk of bread. I usually only eat four or five and have one or two for an omelet the next day. Mostly, I eat alone. I have my eyes on a new patch, where, this evening, they were just trying to cast off the leaf-litter. I'd like to wait a couple of days, for them to fill out, but the turkeys are killing me. A two inch morel is better than nothing. Especially twelve or fourteen of them. They push up the leaf litter, which is a mat at this point, and it makes a little conical hat. You can see it more clearly if you get down on your hands and knees. D is not replaceable, doesn't matter what anyone thinks. I can't do half of the things he does as a matter of course, he's the go-to guy when it comes to the facilities. I don't know how Pegi thinks she's going to get the graphic design done, and all the rest of it. How do you deal with people in denial? My first inclination is to line them up against a wall. As Liz pointed out, I do, in fact, have a theory about almost everything. It's just a product of watching. You get a handle on thermodynamics and then you notice the way things interact. Not unlike pool, though I'm seldom the shooter. When they gave out the good jobs I was hunkered in a tree-tip-pit, reading; or writing, one or the other, I forget which. Glenn and I had a great conversation about punctuation. He could quote page and line, and we agreed that it was just another tool. Stacking commas, which I often do, is a way of ordering thought, internal dialog. Well into tomorrow. I took a nap then woke to make a note, one thing led to another and I got just a splash of that creosote single-malt and rolled a smoke. Read back over what I was writing, Change a few things. When I look back up, it's breaking dawn, a deep blue against the silhouette of dark green leaves. Black is seldom just black. Case in point: coming down to go outside and pee. It was very dark and I was moving carefully. I didn't turn on any lights, because I consider them invasive, sat on the top step until my eyes adjusted. Seeing is believing. The blackberry blossoms in the pre-dawn light are luminous. I carry a small LED flashlight Andy gave me, in a holster on my belt and I had just pulled it out to examine a bloom, when I caught movement out the corner of my eye. Fox on the compost heap. Her dugs are hanging down. She's nursing babies. All's right in the world.

No comments: