Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Green Wall

I can no longer see across the hollow, maybe a couple of small patches, but they're green too. And the rain, more tonight, has everything (even the walnut trees are leafing, and they are, always, the very last, and also the slowest growing) fairly exploding in riotous celebration. Waiting in line at the liquor store I was flirting with a lesbian friend and she hit me with her purse and called me a pervert. The other customers, and the two employees, Jesse and Aaron, were in hysterics, as we put on our little performance piece. I'd already been having a good day, lunch with TR, a free draft (everyone is buying me drinks recently), and I had remembered my list, so I could stop at Kroger with confidence. Talk about inexplicable, when I went out this morning, I was driving slowly through the State Forest, looking at things, and coming the other way, at a good clip, were seven brand new Porsches, each one a different color, five of the drivers were male and two were female. What the fuck are they doing here? Training as Rally drivers? I pull over and they fly past. Maybe there's a drone and I'm a nuisance, I freely admit that I am. Seven Porsches running, six pot-holes waiting. The forest was lovely today. I took a long slow walk several hollows over, but the bugs and snakes are out, so days in the deep woods are nearly over for the year. I need B and his chainsaw for an hour or two, and I'll have a couple of weeks working up firewood, got to do some cleaning and some yard work. But first, a day off from serious thought, and read Light Lit all day, Thomas Perry, Lee Child, and had a fine time just being outside of my own head. No interruptions, the phone and power were out all day. I must have missed that storm, sometimes I just roll over, let the weather put me back to sleep. Like having an apartment over a redneck bar. You get used to it. Bacon-wrapped filets with a morel Duxelle. What'd you have for dinner? Not to rub in salt, but a woodchuck will feed a family of one for a week. When I'm making woodchuck hash, a week later, I still have the same three dollars in my wallet, that I had at the beginning of the week. It's not lost on me how this green wall descended. Green, fucking green. I have some of my best people on this. There's a tell somewhere. Look closely.

No comments: