Saturday, July 5, 2014

Two-Part Invention

Most holidays I spend alone. I drink a little and unplug my phone. My phone number comes from one county and my address is in another. When Kim came to visit he said GPS couldn't find me. Thank god. I live above the beaver ponds, where the water is pure and the fish are native. It's an accrued life but oddly necessary. The left hand played a melody too. I know what you're thinking, that the right hand knoweth, but the left hand needs to knoweth too, Sidney Lanier, gloom of the live-oaks, all that. A lovely day, listening to the Cello Suites and not doing much else. I took a walk. Saw the fox, her kits should be frisky by now. I'm pretty sure she's burrowed a nest into an old grave. I couldn't see any fireworks last night, but I heard the boom echoing off the cliffs in Kentucky. A holiday at several removes. I went into town just for a couple of things I could have done without, mostly I wanted to have a beer at the pub and watch some soccer. Writing is lonely work. And it's nice, to be tempted by cool. I'm easily swayed. If there are six pieces of evidence, sealed in plastic sleeves I'd want to do a sleight-of-hand and ALL of the evidence would disappear.

No comments: