Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Below Zero

Ten degree high and below zero for the next several days, but the sun was out today and I needed wood. First I had to sweep eight inches of new snow off everything, tramp a path to the woodshed. I managed to get one hour of work done in about four hours and I was all in. I had to switch into my insulated Carhartt bib overalls, add a fleece vest and my work boots, wear a face mask and a hat, and wear insulated gloves even though I don't like them because I can't feel what I'm doing. I got another rick inside, in the #1 position, right next to the stove; and some starter sticks that I store under the stove. Tracked crap into the house, so after stacking the rick, I had to sweep; I left the insulated bibs on because they're so warm. I might sleep in them, the next few nights, sleeping on the sofa to tend the stove. A slightly flattened grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup for lunch. Roasted vegetables for dinner. I'm actually quite comfortable, in my bathrobe, with a lap blanket, a muffler and hat. The crows were back, and I had one mouse for them in the freezer, so I nuked it and tossed it up into the snow on the outhouse roof. Pretty funny routine for a few minutes, three crows, one mouse, deep snow. The hot mouse had sank right down through the dry snow. Would have made a great little instructional video on how to work together. When I came in the last time, traded boots for slippers, I made a wonderful hot chicken broth cocktail with a shot of whiskey, a small pat of butter, and a couple of drops of hot sauce. Both of my shoulders sore, but nothing serious, I'd barked a knuckle on my left hand; the air seemed thin, and I needed a lot of it. By damn though, I had tramped paths where I needed them, split out kindling; positioned myself for what might be a difficult couple of days. Add another blanket, over my back, I can always read and sleep.

No comments: