Sunday, February 22, 2015

The Forecast

Maybe changing over to rain, we're right on the line (often described as the Ohio River) where ten inches of snow might just be one inch of rain. I'm sore, my body aches and creaks, but I'm careful, and the world is glorious. A dawn walk along the logging road, knocking ice off overhanging brambles with my mop handle, lest it fall down my neck, and it's like walking in a crystal palace. It's so beautiful I'm left speechless. I know I need to eat more, so I fry up some potatoes and sausage. It got above freezing, briefly, all the snow and ice is off the trees and the snow on the ground has crusted-over at ten to twelve inches. I worked outside for a while, but I didn't like the footing, so I went inside for a toddy and read Harrison, then John Thorne. Made an excellent omelet with the last of the roasted vegetables. I slept long and hard last night and didn't need a fire right away this morning. The wildlife enjoys the brief reprieve before another round of cold temps. The birds are out, rabbits, and a family of grouse down near the print shop (I think they have a nest underneath, out of the snow). There's a set of deer tracks, a young buck, that cross the logging road. I read back over some writing, as Linda had suggested, and it held together quite well. The way that leaving the museum was a jumping off point for so much more reading and reflection. Not worrying about the boilers, not cleaning the bathrooms, not setting up tables and chairs; but pursuing avenues of thought, forming mental constructs, remembering. Also cooking hash with a coddled egg, eating hot fresh biscuits and cornbread, or cooking a great bean soup. Walking outside and being distracted by everything. Actually having in my pocket a list of words, with a note of the specific dictionary that I wanted to look them up in. Time better spent, in my estimation; and I save money by not going to town, I don't buy a damn thing and I eat well but cheap, and my finances are recovering from the new tires and shocks, land taxes, and car insurance, all at the same time. For my land line, my long distance service, and AOL, I pay about $80 a month; I don't need satellite TV because I don't have a TV, but I'd like to cut down on that cost and improve service. It's difficult to sort things out. All of the companies lie about their service.

No comments: