Sunday, October 23, 2016

Local Flooding

Rain and wind all night. When the power went out I just sat in the dark (absolute) and listened to the storm. No idea how much time passed, eventually I put on a headlamp and read for a while. Temperature dropped thirty degrees so I wrapped up in a blanket and finally slept until the lights came back on. The radio was on and the first thing I heard were reports of flooding. The usual places. Why people settle on the floodplain is a mystery to me. The wind is supposed to keep steady, which should dry surface roads fairly quickly. I haven't been out in a week and I'm beginning to feel like Batty Thomas. Talking to myself and bumbling about. The crows come out, then a few other birds, shaking their feathers, announcing at least a break in the rain. A welcome break, as I need to move some water around. I left the radio on, so I'd remember to listen to Science Friday, which I always enjoy when I remember to listen but I was distracted by sunlight breaking through the cloud cover. It's spectacular. Questions of beauty aside, or maybe not, it does attract my attention. The play of light on a lichen covered stump, a freckled neckline, wild orchids. Recently I made cornbread in my one square skillet and when I sliced it, corner to corner, then cut across the middle, I had six equal segments. I felt like I had uncovered a major mathematical concept. Finally did get out, supplies and a few things for the larder. Huge volume of Anglo-Saxon poetry, modern translations on one side and Anglo-Saxon on the other, from Jude. I once stayed in the library at Marshall University reading through the volumes of Earliest English Texts, must have been a week. My VW Bug had blown up in Nitro, West Virginia, and I ended up taking the bus back to Cape Cod. Not much sign of flooding, a little debris. Left-over cornbread doesn't last that long, Just keep it in the microwave, covered with a cloth. Toasted cornbread, with peanut butter and sliced banana is very good. I talked to Jude, to thank her for the book. Then roasted the week's oysters and had them with salsa, an avocado with lime juice. I picked up another smoked jowl to make cracklings, as the weather has indicated the need for a pot of beans. Fine tuning the winter larder, I found that Hormel still sells pickled pig's feet, in jars, and immediately bought a couple. A festive night in February I'll eat one of these and actually be a happy camper. The usual fish-camp always had a jar of pickled pig's feet and a jar of pickled eggs, crackers on demand. Roy and I thought we could break into the pickled pig's feet market, but we ate all of the product. Gristle, fat, gristle fat. Saltine crackers smeared with chicken grease. Nothing ever was.

No comments: