Friday, October 28, 2016

So Strange

"The Season Of The Witch", Donovan, I hadn't heard that in years. Late night radio doing a Halloween set. I have to turn it off. I don't truck with dress-up. In the last 36 years I've had not one trick-or-treater. One house per square mile is not good pickings, especially if you have to walk a half-mile uphill. The crows show up and it's like a car pulling next to you at a stoplight with more sonic blast than a heavy metal concert. I take them a couple of mice to shut them up. Scallops at Kroger, and I got the last package in the discount bin. Two meals, I figure, for eight bucks. Both of them will be with a butter sauce on egg noodles, a side of endive(it was too expensive, I ended up with a wilted spinach salad instead, hot bacon fat for the wilting). After a recent raid on the fall display outside a Tim Horton's, I had several squash, so I made a nice cream soup. This is as easy as cooking gets. There's some clean-up involved, the blender, but this is short work if you whirl some water immediately after with a few drops of soap. Rainwater is very soft, you need very little soap. Tomorrow I'm scheduled for a complete body and hair-wash, maybe the last before I put on long-underwear and retreat to my cave. I always figure that rescuing the squash at Tim Horton's is doing the help a favor as no one has to clean up the slimy mess that results at first freeze-thaw. I only take them when a frost is in the forecast, and I do, actually, have permission. Mostly I just roast them, with sweet potatoes and turnips, though I make a fine risotto with squash cubes and mushrooms. This is always a burn your tongue meal, because squash holds its heat very well, if they didn't rot they'd make a great heat-sink solar collector. Winslow and I once spent an evening designing a house with an aquarium on the roof, with flounder, because they flip their dark and light sides. Impractical, but I did once visit a greenhouse that was heated by rabbits. The Old English gets tiresome when the Christian overlay predominates. The best religious stuff is always the music and the music of the earliest languages, Old Norse, Anglo-Saxon, is in the alliteration, and in those half-lines, both of which are simply aids to memory. Pound, in his translation of The Seafarer, cuts out 25% of the poem, to take out the Christianity, and it works, you can see what happened, right then, the way one belief system overlays another. Your little god and my little god going to set the world on fire, hey now. Hwert!

No comments: