Friday, February 24, 2017

Storing Power

At Blaenau Ffestiniog in Snowdonia national park in Wales during off-peak hours they pump water up a mountain, then use it to generate electricity the next day. Someplace in Switzerland they use an electric tram to haul boxcars filled with rocks up a mountain which generate power on the way back down. The potential energy in a single lightning strike is pretty impressive, if you could store it. There's a salt-water battery (not very efficient but who cares?), and my idea, melt a large mass of lead. Containment might be an issue. At the museum, when there was an event, 100 people, even mid-winter, I often turned the heat off. Body heat is not to be dismissed, igloos and yurts for instance. And that great greenhouse at Wood's Hole that was heated by rabbits. Guinea pigs breed year round, in South America they're raised for the pot. Guinea pig and sweet potatoes is a common dish. 70 degrees. Supposed to get cold again tomorrow night, more rain and snow, so I got my act together and went to town. Got several cans of mustard powder out of the discounted bin, and intend to make several different mustards. I know this is going to lead to making French fries, because I love sampling mustards on warm fries. I noticed, going in, that the Diary Bar had reopened, there was an enormous crowd, so I stopped on the way home and got a large vanilla shake. Came back the long way around, to check the various budding, and it's a disaster waiting to happen. Everything is moving too fast. I expect to hear the frogs soon. A strong storm, much thunder and lightning, and I have to shut everything down. Stay up, to watch the fireworks. It's like a bunch of early photographs, snap, snap. Trees stripped bare, nothing there, just the place. TR called and we're recording next Sunday, if he can get up the driveway.

No comments: