Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Wind Sounds

Music, sometimes a conversation in a foreign language, trains naturally, a tenacious dry leaf can sound like a snare drum in a marching band. There are holes in the fabric: occasionally I hear an actual logging truck miles away. Working on the personal hygiene aspects of daily life, I changed into all new clothes. This is an extremely rare occurrence. New socks prompted trimming my toe nails. I felt like I was in a Beckett play, muttering to myself. Mom never made hash, and I was thinking about that. Dad didn't like having foods mixed together, so instead of stew (of which, now, I make about a dozen varieties) Sunday dinner would be a pot roast, with vegetables (cooked with the roast) served on the side with gravy. Always cornbread and gravy, Mom could make gravy out of old mail bags. It's a gift. I wrote about this, in an un-circulated monograph, Salsa And Gravy, which was actually just a study of textures, but I think it captures the spirit. I don't care what anyone thinks. I try to be aware enough to not offend. I know that my concerns don't make a rat's ass difference in the great scheme of things. I know that my opinions are based on false assumptions. Easily distracted by coincidence. Mountain goats, for instance, move with a grace that is denied mere humans. If we view reality as a whole cloth, the jury is out on this, we might opine that we'd rather be a goat. When in doubt, I always caramelize an onion, and watch the way the sugars convert. In many ways I've grown more stupid, case in point, just the other day I was splitting kindling, thinking about the birth of the universe. God, the Prime Mover, whether or not I could trust a Pope, his cassock down at his knees fucking a choir-boy, or anyone else. Mediation is the issue. A Free Will Baptist, some distant relative of Luther. The most seriously religious couple I've ever known, both potters, didn't attend any church, they found it all a sham. They didn't work on Sunday, they read the bible, they were vegetarian, they resisted social control. I have many pieces of their pottery, it's mostly a bit too heavy but I love the forms. When they threw a set of bowls or plates they always threw an extra, in case one was broken during production, and I'd buy the extra at a steep discount, so I have a complete set of unmatched plates. Fascinating conversations. So far right they were actually left.

No comments: