Monday, May 8, 2017

Spin Off

I lost something, or sent a fragment, a freak thunder cell I heard coming, and I was caught trying to save a few words, maybe punched an incorrect key. Don't know what's where. A sudden downpour that lasts for five minutes, darkness and quiet descend like a blanket, just the drip of tree-rain. The crows have left for their summer at the lake, leaving me with a bunch of mice in the freezer. I've never, however, thrown a mouse out into the back yard and had it not be gone the next day. Much cooler, so I built a fire, then baked an acorn squash, stuffed one half with sausage and the other with raspberries. I have so many very good vinegars right now, that my usual salad is tomatoes, onion and cucumber, in a smallish bowl, and I drink or sop the left-over liquid. On more formal occasions, I break the bread into pieces and use a fork. I can always be introduced as the country cousin. It's a clever disguise, and I don't have to fuck around with appearances. I started to wear black jeans and denim shirts when a couple of people died and I ended up with a bunch of black jeans and denim shirts. I've stayed the same size since high school, so I ended up with a lot of clothes when people gained weight. At Janitor College we lived on day-old bread and ketchup soup. We planted the commons in dandelion so we'd have both wine and bitter greens, and it was not uncommon for a professor to arrive in his bathrobe. Murray always taught Shit Flows Downhill, which was a great course, and usually showed up in his Roto-Rooter clothes with the name Frank on the pocket even though his name was David. A glorious day, and I needed some things (seasonal items), so I cleaned up and went to town. The real treat was coming home along the creek, the long way around. The wild mustard is beautiful, spread across the flood-plain.

No comments: