Thursday, June 19, 2008

Critics

Takes all kinds. Some very nice art in today, a flood just before noon delayed lunch, but when we got to the pub Jim had set little table setting for us, with a mysterious packet of Sweet-And-Low in the center. He poured us a couple of ounces of a new beer that might be a contender in the fund-raiser beer tasting the Deputy and D are planning for the museum. D and I are the official pre-tasters, excellent job. We don't drink on the job, so spit the beer out, right. I don't like drinking during the day, unless I'm fishing, otherwise I need to take a nap. Schedule from hell, like doing opera in Boston under Miss Caldwell. A schedule like this you only glance ahead, stay rooted in the present, take it one day at a time. I make some lists, they look like poems, I'll try and remember to copy some and include them, I can't recall any of them, the things, that's why I make a list, so I don't have to remember. The flood was a van from OSU, Chillocothe, with work from 7 artists, and before we had finished with them, Alan and his beautiful daughter arrived with the best work so far. Kathryn's paintings need frames, but they would have to be quite special indeed, she paints around the edges. She's quiet. She either doesn't know how sexy she is or is the best actress I've ever seen. Alan's paintings are killer, drop-dead small realistic renderings. I wish I had the money. $850 dollars and these are worth five times that, a thousand times that, they render a world. Maybe I can trade him a sand-blasted stump. What this show does is make everyone a critic, the work comes in, we stack it along the walls, we look at it, and we make a judgment, we say things, some of them are really sarcastic, when the work is bad, but there are those moments when you look at something and sigh. Bach "Cello Suites", I fucking melt, that kind of thing, where you become open, where you open. Lily had a scent she wanted me to smell, she thrust her wrist in front of my nose, I couldn't not smell, that would be like not-hearing. Fuck, I am so completely fucked, whatever I meant to say.

No comments: