Friday, June 13, 2008

Stage Setting

Last full day before we start the change-over. I've a list. Art started coming in today, local stuff (within 85 miles) for the "Cream Of The Crop" show, every other year. I love this show, being surprised, what did Sara say, eye candy, more than that, of course, but still, it is so nice to see, at all different levels of proficiency. The show is always a nightmare to hang, jack-leg, cobbed together, inadequate structure, pieces that don't support themselves, but even that's cool, because it allows for problem solving, always time well spent. This is when it's really fun, working at a museum, seeing the new stuff, hanging a show, listening to the scuttlebutt, the comments. The show opens two weeks from tonight, tomorrow we start taking the old show down. Barely enough time. At the end, we'll be running around like chickens. An interesting articulated ceramic chicken came in today, Bev yelled for me from the reception desk to come and deal with it. A nice piece, high-fired, with embellishment. The woman wanted to show me how to carry the piece, and I don't blame her, an awkward thing (life-size chicken) and I watched her pick it up and move it, she looked at me, to see if I understood, and I said -yes Mam, I put my hand under her butt and keep the spurs apart- it was as if I were from Mars, -well yes, exactly- she said, and I was pretty sure I had gained her confidence, in terms of handling her piece. Nice chat with Sara tonight, about the museum, waiting for D to get back from Cincy, because we'd agreed to a beer at the pub, and I like setting on a bar-stool next to him when he needs to decompress. I understand decompression, I practice it daily. I wonder how anyone could live with anyone, the sex would have to be good AND you'd have to be able to talk. I can't imagine. A platypus goes into a bar.

No comments: