Saturday, May 23, 2009

Before Leavening

What any leavening agent does is start fermentation, thereby entraining air. Presto, risen. Breakfast, then yard work, then breakfast again. Crab cakes and eggs. Must find some salt-cod, Kroger stopped carrying it. Bastards. Ethnic markets in Columbus. No leavening, the cakes got me thinking. Made an interesting crab corn-cake, not sure if they're any good or not. A friend sent a bag of pure fresh-milled plain cornmeal, white. Quarter cup corn meal, juice from a small can of premium crab meat with a little more clam juice to make a loose batter, stirred in the crab meat, made four nice patties. I thought they were pretty good, but I was quite hungry. Not a fair trial if you're really hungry. I liked them best with just a pat of butter, salt and pepper. Salsa might be good. These, and a nice small bitter salad, with balsamic, would be a great summer dinner, with a really flinty white wine or maybe a gewurztraminer. Sweaty and dirty, I put out a solar shower, the five gallon one, heat water for a complete clean-up, scrub my back with a sponge on a stick, wash my hair, come inside and shave, clip my nails. Good to go, but of course I'm not going anywhere, I just needed to get totally clean. Gotta zip in and do a load of laundry tomorrow, need to buy more socks, check at Big Lots, I only buy socks at Big Lots. I did order two books yesterday: I try and limit my buying to books, booze, tobacco and what food I require. I never really think that my lifestyle is any different than anyone else's. I do what I do to get along. If I make a point it's not because I'm trying to, I'm merely recounting events. Before leaving. That's probably a completely different post, something we might think about. You really can't catch me by surprise, even if you project ahead: I bet the farm, I'll be one move ahead. I operate in a vacuum, I don't really know, but I suspect. Good enough, for the jaded. Me too, I'd much rather be noticed, not in the cards. Still, I'd rather write to you, something I see as a thread, than not write at all.

No comments: