Friday, January 4, 2013

Moving Things

Started the day loading out Mark's paintings. He came to get them because they open in another show on Monday, which he's helping to hang tomorrow. D brought his slightly sick daughter to work (a cold), and she went to lunch with us, first time sitting at a bar. She amused herself almost as well as my younger daughter, Rhea (who actually disappears), and it was nice being around a kid. After lunch I took down the print show, and got them all downstairs; D was going to load them in the rental van after I'd headed home, on my winter schedule. From three until a little after four we loaded out the eight wall panels into a low-boy trailer in two batches and sent them over to Pegi's studio. Some of the Cirque people helped and it went smoothly. I always shudder at moving awkward heavy things with people who don't know what they're doing, but we got it done. We now have a new storage area. For the sound system on a cart, and a portable bar, which we'll design and build. I didn't need anything at home, though I felt a bit guilty about not carrying something in to the house. So it was just a light pack, a couple of books. The walk is getting easier, and I love the way walking-in mediates between town and country. I leave the house in winter, all the components for starting a fire are right there when I return; I keep those stations of the cross stocked. And now I turn on the new heater, over where I write, and I am, as they say, a happy camper. Interesting: if I flush a toilet or urinal three times a day at work, I double my water use. It's crazy, all the nutrients wash away, AND I double my water use; the logic defies me. Three in the morning and the dog pack was back, which isn't all bad, because I needed to stoke the fire. They'd cornered a coon on the compost pile, but none of them are fools, they must have gotten the memo about coons and rabies, so it's a stand-off. I'd replenished my store of throwing rocks and scattered the dogs, the coon slipped off, down the path to the graveyard, and quiet was restored. I've found a perfect bed of throwing rocks, in the flood plain of Mackletree Creek just before it flows into Roosevelt Lake. Fines are consistent, considering all the variables; but the angle of the creek bed, the degree of fall, is nominally the same; and the funneling effect of the bed itself, given a hard rain, tends to drop a particularly sized rock in a specific place. I've walked this creek bed for half a mile, and the same size rock occurs upstream, jumbled in debris, but there's a stretch where almost every rock is the same size. I can half-fill a five gallon bucket in just a couple of minutes. They're sandstone and shale, palm-sized and three-quarters of an inch thick, and the edges are all rounded, from the tumbling, so they don't cut your hands. They tend to sail, but at twenty-five feet that's not an issue, and they fit my hand so well. They're a joy to skip. A life-long interest in slingshots and throwing rocks has uniquely prepared me for the apocalypse, talk about low-tech: a pocket knife, an inner-tube, and a pile of rocks. I can make a kind of bread from cattail flour, and I've seeded certain wet areas with watercress. I hoard bean seed, as a matter of course, and I could live on acorns and roadkill until I harvest a crop. Survival is not the issue. It's the reason for survival. Sartre, all those existentialists, are correct, questioning the foundation. I'd rather die than live in this world, or I 'd rather live in this world than die. A choice you have to make.

No comments: