Saturday, January 5, 2013

Some Thoughts

When the leaving is hard. The only one left to know. Crossing boundaries. I suppose I do make judgements, it's part of the condition, but I'm careful to not step on toes. I need new shoes, so I understand that. I need a haircut, I need to trim my toenails, I need to ferret out those black hairs that grow on your nose as you get older. What's that about? Did you read about those very old fossils from Australia? Remembering a snatch of music, a rock anthem, Neil Young, The Dead. Moved in ways I don't understand. You are only what you feel. Lost in my mind. Wisdom is all I need. We can start moving forward. Lost in my mind. Lost in my mind. Buffalo Springfield. Heroes And Villains, oh wait, that was The Beach Boys. Confusion is a natural state. You don't remember who you're talking to. Love the one you're with. If you can't be. Love the one you're with. On the bus. Catch me on the bus. Kiss me on the bus. Remember? I love audio hallucinations. Add a cello and I'm gone. John and Carlos. James Taylor, what did Miles say, he sounded like a blind black boy. Midnight special. Shine your ever-loving light on me. I like it when you shake it on the line. Love's a game and I'm not playing. Say darling, say. Hush little baby. Somebody said don't act too smart, somebody said you're so naive, say it out loud, alone and sick and proud. Underneath the moon. Might as well be myself. All the words we've left unsaid. Into dreams. Finally back to sleep, then awake again when the sun rises above the opposite ridge. I had to make a run to town for supplies, so I stopped at the museum, to wash my hair (hot running water!), then got a much needed haircut, went to the library, did my laundry, stopped at Kroger for whiskey, coffee, cream, and the ingredients for another pork fried rice. Stopped at Roosevelt Lake to arrange my pack, roll a smoke, and watch the resident geese deal with the frozen surface. I don't feed them anymore, they're dangerous. I still collect left-over rolls and crackers from events at the museum (and other places), but I strew them over a flat space, off the road, that had been used as a staging area for logging trucks harvesting timber damaged in the big fire a few years ago. It's always gone the next day. If I took all the food scraps from the pub, maybe 55 gallons a day, and dumped then in that place, they'd be gone the next day. Doesn't it seem more logical to recycle waste that way? Then the animals shit more and fertilize the trees. It actually got above freezing, the driveway was messy, walking in, and for an hour there was drip from the eaves. But the sky is clear, and it cools quickly, as the sun goes down. I start breaking icicles into the bucket of snow I'm always melting. Almost pure water. H2O is one of the few things that expands in both directions, as a gas, and as a solid. Tom I filter everything, I don't think unusable is a necessary defense. Hello, are we still awake out there?

No comments: