Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Chaos

Finally get started painting in the small Mehser gallery upstairs, and had to stop right away for several conversations with sub-contractors concerning the re-model; then had to stop again to fill 168 holes, made with push-pins, from the last High School show. We thought the holes were so small that the paint would fill them, but, of course, it didn't, and they needed filling. I borrowed some of the filler from the bathroom guys, very cool stuff, it goes on pink and turns white when it dries. I have to wait for it to dry to sand it before I paint. Fill the time by hauling five loads of trash to the dumpster. Construction generates a lot of trash. Wood scraps I take home as kindling, but quite a bit of stuff has to get thrown away, mostly packaging. I take the sawdust home, and spread it in the woods, minerals and metals I take below the floodwall and drop in the chinks between dumped sandstone chunks that serve as a break-water. I was down there this evening, making my ablutions, watching a tow move upstream, settling myself before I went to the pub for a pint. Harried day. Though I did get three walls painted, which feels pretty good, considering the chaos. There was a crew in the alley, there was a crew in the basement, and there was a crew in the bathrooms. I was not going to be able to leave at five, after staying overnight in town, so I could be there at eight in the morning: but I could slip away for a beer, if I left them a number. I don't have a cell phone, but I gave them the number at the pub, went over and watched half a soccer game. Soccer at it's highest level, these guys are so good that they can do a blind kick toward where they expect you to be. Not a little pressure. Watch Manchester United move the ball. It defies, really, what the rest of us have to say. I have to do my laundry.

No comments: