Friday, February 8, 2013

Lost Week

Totally exhausted. Yesterday, at one point, there were fourteen people making various messes. There's an event in the main gallery on Sunday, so we spent today at an attempt to restore some order. We got everything back into the vault: and, having built some incredibly efficient shelving, installed new lighting, and cleaned out the detritus, the space is transformed. The first part of the week I just moved things around, keeping the artwork safe. One potential disaster after another. Alfred was cutting through the front wall of the main gallery, to open a 'chase' where we could run sundry cables (power for new outlets, audio/video feeds, security camera lines) and he was making a hell of a mess, only exceeded by the mess Mark, the electrician, made the next day drilling five one inch holes in all off the studs. I pull out the old light track brackets upstairs, and fill the holes, but my main task is to go to the Pittsburg Paint store and get samples of three colors: Lusty Red, Blaze, and Burning Bush. Red is the most difficult color to paint a wall. It streaks, the solids fall out if you don't stir constantly. I clean a section of wall and paint a square foot of each color in a place where we can get good light on it. I like Burning Bush, but it's not my decision. Lusty is too Corvette. Blaze is stuck in the middle. The bathroom crew all liked Lusty, which says something. They've done well, and I like them, they're good guys. There's a touch of the rural anti-intellectualism, but I can deflect that with stories of my own. For whatever reason the word 'implication' pops into my brain and lodges there, I carry it as a mantra all day. Thinking about implication. Family, for instance, the sub-text you know runs constantly. I resisted a couple of commas there, and I think meaning is distorted, nonetheless it is a back ground noise. One morning was a zoo, when the crew arrived to tear up the paving in the alley, jack-hammers and Bobcats tearing and scooping, a war zone; the basement was a cloud of concrete dust, because of the windows. D and I agreed to paint a wall tomorrow. We need to paint a wall, because we have so many of them to paint. best we get our shit together.

No comments: