Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Modigliani Again

Museum guy again today, keeping tabs on the bathroom crew. A lovely time actually, alone upstairs. Read some of Mary's letters, spent a good bit of time looking at some very good reproductions of Modigliani's work. Failed, for yet another day, to resolve the Jeep issue. Can't reach my mechanic, and I'm beginning to be concerned about him. Cold and snowy as it's been, I've missed several slogs up and down the hill; there was six inches on the ground out there, and that makes for quite the hike. I miss the raw splendor of the place when I'm not there for even a day. It occurred to me that the Cooking Network (I was watching a show today about cooking game birds) is an amazing resource for people who like to cook. It interests me much more than any sitcom or almost anything else I'd ever watch on TV. Having Hulu at the museum, I do watch a few things, before or after work, on days I get stuck there; and I'd like to watch a few movies that I keep hearing about from other people. But, by and large, I'm glad I don't have one at home, hell, I probably would have watched the Super Bowl yesterday; when, instead, I got the whole game, in eight minutes, without sound, on the bar TV at the pub while enjoying a nice Lobster Bisque and a pint today. I'm much more interested in Manchester United and the European Soccer League. Spare me the side-boob sightings and the size of various asses, I mean I can be distracted but I'm not really interested. More demolition. The cabinet for the doll heads is destroyed and it didn't take that long, though it was over-built, built-in, and heavy. I hate particle board. Parts of it were dowelled together and there were way too many nails. Laminations of three-quarter inch Baltic Birch plywood. Couldn't save much, glued and screwed as it was. D and I spent some time in the vault, deciding where and how to build some shelving units for the permanent collection, made a list of the necessary components. Worked overtime comparing various shades of red with the cherry plywood we'll be using in the back hallway. Exhausted, after days of this.

No comments: