Monday, December 2, 2013

Oneiric

Had to go out, the days are too short to get anything done before or after work. Garbage to take to the dumpster, needed whiskey, wanted to check my electronic mail. A pint at the pub, I sat down at Barb's end (someone was sitting in my usual place) and we chatted. Astra came out to say hello, and Cory thought my daughters were cool. Barb thought it was great that we took over the front room on Tuesday; then crock-pot chili and Scrabble at the museum on Wednesday. Thursday, on the ridge, was fantastic, though it started in a very cold house. We generated a lot of garbage. I was surprised, but there was a lot of cooking and eating and drinking, and I shouldn't have been. One large trash bag thrown in the museum dumpster. Not a big deal in the history of things. In a sudden reversal, the driveway is now sloppy at the bottom; the top, with the camber and a good grader ditch, is quite solid, but the bottom, where things flatten out, is slick. New shocks and serious tires this week. When I got home I made a few trips, carrying wood to the shed. Two crows dogged me about, but I'm currently out of frozen mice, and they went begging. Lovely outside, it must have been in the forties, not much wind, just right for carrying wood from one place to another. The birds were all over, celebrating the end of a cold spell. This time of year they start eating the sumac heads, but it doesn't seem to be a preferred food. Fuzzy. I made a great frittata from the egg yolks left over from making the meringue for the Key Lime pie, and the last of the roasted root vegetables. A lot of several cheeses. Excellent and hardy. Local turnips and parsnips, at this time of year, are perfect. And the acorn squash. Tim Horten's always makes a big fall display with pumpkins and squash, and just before the first freeze, I always harvest the squash. A cream of squash soup makes any winter night more bearable, as any chowder would.

No comments: