Thursday, December 26, 2013

Planning Ahead

It's probably too much to expect that the Bill Gates or some other benevolent foundation would step in and buy my whiskey and tobacco, so I need to cut back on that. If I stay home, don't eat lunch at the pub and don't drive back and forth, I save, minimum, $13 a day. I'd like to get a Medicare supplemental policy, $100 a month through AARP, so I don't end up destitute. What with land taxes, and vehicle insurance, an electric bill, and staying warm enough to function, eating and drinking and staying alive, I'm right at the end of my rope. Next month I have to upgrade the suspension and tires on the Jeep, I have to get a new computer, $1750 at least; I'm not happy with the numbers, but there you go. Unexpected expenses. You need a fund for that. My tree-tip pit is better than yours. I can keep a fire going, at the mouth of the cave, and keep the animals at bay. Turns out I didn't have to go in to work, still I could drive door to door, as the driveway is again frozen solid, and I could bring some things in. A beer at the pub for lunch, and watched part of a soccer game. Beautiful day, clear, came home the back way, on Odle Creek Road; lovely, stark winter scene. I had a bag of rolls from the last party in the freezer at work, stopped and fed the geese. They went into their usual frenzy. They could easily kill a little old lady, and they actually frighten me a bit. But I like recycling the breadstuffs, of which there are always tons left over. The geese are fun to watch, from the safety of a vehicle. Most of this group (42 birds) are all about the same size, 15 to 20 pounds. Talked to the painting crew today, nice guys, and they're doing a good job, lots of repair to the substrate. They're not looking forward to the main ceiling. I can't even bear to watch. I may have to stay home and take a sedative, an Irish sedative. My days of working twenty feet off the floor, with no railing or safely line, are long past. I have trouble, now, changing a light bulb.

No comments: