Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Bobcat

I'm not superstitious but I do avoid cracks in the sidewalk. Rewarded with the second sighting of the bobcat within a week. She found the compost pile. Also she like to use the bathroom in the cleared area where the Jeep was parked during the snow storms. I say she, I think it's female. I've spent a good bit of time reading about them, since I first saw her, and seeing her again reaffirmed my guess. Dreary outside, very cold rain and rotten snow. I never got out of my bathrobe. Spent all day researching the possibility of Phoenician travel to the Americas, 3,000 BC. There's a lot of evidence and it would explain a great many things. Some of the bronze from areas where there was no ore, used tin from South America. Red hair. Un-translated languages that appear to be related (for the second time in a year I've seen a comparison between an Indus Valley script, and the script of Easter Island). Certain habits of architecture and design. Also I had read a great deal about the Phoenicians and the explosion of Thera in 1450 BC. The Olmec heads that seemed to indicate "long-heads". Also, in the course of so much reading that I have a headache, I discover that the Japanese were in the Pacific Northwest, 1,000 BC. Who knew? Ground fog with nowhere to go, the air is hanging very heavy. A still and sodden quiet. I needed to dig into the compost heap, to dump ashes and some kitchen scraps, but I didn't want to frighten off the bobcat, if it chose to return, with my disturbance and my smell, so I just sat inside, drank tea, and read a cogent essay about how it would have been easily possible to sail on the margins of the sea-ice, during the last glaciation, from Europe to North America. Food would have been plentiful, and you could always duck behind an ice-berg for protection in a storm. This would explain the similarity between Folsom points and the culmination of flaking in Europe. Some of the Olmec heads are obviously African. I spend some time looking at charts of oceanic currents. The icicles are falling off the roof and they're startling. Flash flood warnings on the radio, the drainage is over-taxed, damned with debris, and when it gets cold again, tomorrow night, the roads will be slick with black ice. Snow is sliding off the roof now, it makes a huge reverberating sound as it crashes to the porch. Not unlike that sound, I imagine, when your hull might be stove in ice and crushes under the force

No comments: