Monday, March 9, 2015

Breaking Trail

Took me over an hour to get down to the Jeep and back to the house with my stashed bottle of whiskey. The snow had subsided down to 6 and 8 inches, so I'd didn't have to lift my feet as high. Set in the vehicle, catching my breath and slowing my heart-rate. Going back up was a slog through rotting snow. Supposed to be even warmer tomorrow and I should be able to get to the library and get a few things at the store. A steak and baked potato sounds good. One of the books at the library should be a history of mining. I'm looking forward to it. It's a good workout, walking in and out; and I can look for buds and the first green things, in bare patches on the south-facing slope. Tracks of a monster buck crossing down at the print-shop. The squirrels were in the sumac today, they'd rip off an entire seed-head and eat it like corn on the cob. They were at it for a long time, fun to watch, with their cute little hands. By late afternoon it's just too impossibly messy to be outside, I make a toddy and resume reading about bronze and iron. I feel like I'm in the stone age, most of the time. I got the upper culvert catchment cleaned out, but the driveway sustained some damage, which I can't see yet because of the snow. And there are a lot of frozen leaves still in the grader ditch. The water from the wet weather springs is incredibly cold and delicious. I'm a little sore, from the hike, but it was nice to be outside. The saturated air, the smell of it. I got my feet wet, despite having just re-treated my boots, which leads me to believe they're dying. Work boot purchase is a serious consideration. Winter is nearly over, though, you can tell when you start tracking in mud. It can still be cold, but it won't last. The ice I bring in on my crampons melts away quickly, two weeks ago it was freezing on the floor. More tired than I thought, fell asleep almost immediately after eating, let the fire go out, and slept until dawn. I needed the rest, but I woke with enough soreness to re-enforce the sure knowledge that I am no longer a spring chicken. I end up rereading all of Chichester's Gipsy Moth, then review all of the stores carefully, an index compiled by his wife, who did all of the stowage. He was a vegetarian, but ate fish, and seems to have favored, as I do, sardines on toast. Also of interest were the differences in foodstuffs for the outgoing and homeward legs (Sydney was about half-way, and he refitted there), the learning curve: more potatoes, better eggs, easier quick meals. Whatever particular people I happen to be reading about, I'm always interested in the larder. Mine is pretty well shot, as it should be at this time of year, but I do remember a steak in the freezer and a box of dehydrated scalloped potatoes (Mom convinced me that they were better than nothing). Next time I'm at the pub I want a salad. Supposed to be 55 degrees tomorrow, and I make plans to wash my hair and take a sponge bath, then go to town. Now that they've changed the time, I can stay in town for Happy Hour and still get home before dark.

No comments: