Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Pissed Off

The Jeep was at the bottom of the hill, so I walked down, headed for the library and I was out of gas, which made no sense because I always fill up before a storm, as I had, last Wednesday. Thought I had busted the tank driving in over the plowed snow bank (which had frozen). Had to slog back up the hill and call a wrecker, then slog back down to meet them. Hauled it to the garage in town. They dropped the tank, and one of the owners, Trent, looked up at me and asked if I knew that the Jeep tank was plastic, which I didn't know, then he pointed to the two holes that had been drilled in the tank and said someone had stolen my gas. He'd seen it before. Going to be a $500 repair for 30 bucks worth of gas. Trent said I should sit down there with a shotgun, when I get the Jeep back, and pepper someone's ass with bird-shot. He was as pissed off as I was. I walked back to the pub and had a beer, then walked over to the museum to see if I could find TR for a ride home, but Emily (who has my old job) only lives a few miles away from me and said she'd drive me if I'd hang around until she got off work. Walked to Kroger and got a few things, walked to the library and the book they had for me was not the book I expected and something I hadn't reserved, the new Anne Tyler novel, A Spool of Blue Thread, which I took anyway, as I needed some fiction. Emily drove me to the bottom of the hill. It was nice chatting with her, on the drive out, she's a horse person and rides almost every day. I'd had time for another beer at the pub, went back outside and had a cigaret with Loren, he'd heard that my reading at the lodge was great, and his boss, Scott, (married to Jenny, the Naturalist, who birthed a boy yesterday) thought that my extremely casual approach, stories and reading, was an excellent afternoon. Most of the staff at the pub had read an article in the paper about me, and they wondered when I was reading somewhere again. I call B when I get home, he's going to town on Thursday, and even if the Jeep isn't ready, I'll need to ride in and get a few things. What I'm going to do is eat some leftovers, and get some sleep.

1 comment:

Mouse said...

That sucks, Tom. At least they didn't take the Jeep.