Saturday, June 17, 2017

Lost Page

A whole page gone. Hasn't happened to me in months. One of those black-outs that lasted two seconds. I was writing about transmissible spongiform encephalopathies, and that tribe, the Fore, in the New Guinea highlands, and the disease Kuru, which was passed on via ritual cannibalism. While I was fixing lunch I realized I had almost everything for making flounder filets rolled around crab meat. A trip to town tomorrow for the trimmings. I'll coat the roll-ups in ground nuts, maybe glazed carrots on the side. Spaced out, forgot to put the rain-water buckets outside and I'm low on wash water. I need to do dishes and I need to wash my hair. I haven't run out of rain water for several years, and it's stupid that I haven't kept up with it. Lesson learned. Also I have to get in touch with a couple of people about some projects around this place. Plenty of time as the jobs don't have to be done until mid-fall, and the guys will fit me in. Everything seems on track, except for the water fuckup, and I can always go down to B's and fill a couple of buckets. I need to bring my ozonated drinking water supply up to capacity. Then start on the pantry. When I get out in the winter, then get back home, I tend to just shove things wherever they'll fit, so I need to organize and check dates. Then I have to address the book issues, take a load to the Goodwill Bookstore, start a new stack of winter books to be read, shelve 50 or 100. And I have to recycle another couple hundred pounds of magazines, check on the library book sale, and get my license tag sticker. Dug out my old copy of Henley's Formulas and there are several pages of ink recipes, including a small-batch gall ink (1 quart) designed for household use. The 'housewife' was expected to make this, so I assume I can make it too. The Henley's is a wonderful book, and after a couple of days of rain, I've read/scanned through the whole thing. 10.000 recipes and formulas, and it has a great index, covers everything from getting out stains and making a dandruff shampoo, to storing cheese (smear the cut surface with butter) and the care of millstones. I'm not familiar with half of the ingredients. It's great reading that expresses a different view. When you had to do things for yourself. Now, nobody knows how to do anything.

No comments: